Wednesday 16 July 2014

Blue Ghost

Dressed in true Tom-boy fashion, I still had long hair down to my bottom that was always braided tightly by mom at the beginning of each day.

A bright sun rise was permission to run out the door, into the street.  Jumping on my Pepto-bismol Pink bike, (which by the way had only one speed...as fast as I could pedal), I would travel through the streets of Bowmanville, Canada with a baseball glove hanging off the end of the handle bar.

Chimes are heard down the street.  A highschool boy working part-time rides his trolley down the block with a white ice-box attached.  Lips smacking, and heart racing, I run towards the sweet sound of something icy and delicious coming my way.

A loony or maybe two is enough to turn a good summer day into a great one.

Rockets
Fudge-cicles
Drumb Sticks
Freez-E's
Cups and Cones, Chocolate and Vanilla
Frosty and Sweet...

And then the Blue Ghost

All bad because dinner may be sacrificed, but all good because that's what it's meant to be.

A Blue Ghost for me and a Rocket for my brother.  $1.75

In baggy overalls and a pink polo t-shirt that was worn out and faded from many washes, I ran up to our maple tree at the bottom of our hill.  Chest pounding and throat dry, I make it to our giant tree. It was the most perfect tree for climbing, hanging upside down from and jumping off of.  Soon to follow, is my brother who comes chuckling and running up behind me.

His poker straight hair tousled and wet from the sweat and his socks usually pulled up to his knees are now slumping down around his ankles from the vigorous run.  His apple-like cheeks look scorched from over-heating and his giggles are laboured from being out of breath.

We plop down underneath the old maple tree, and I help him open his treat. 

A wee guy he was, 7 years my junior, round face and almond-shaped eyes. He had an infectious laugh that often sounded out of control, which was true sometime because he would laugh so hard he'd give himself the hiccups. 

I liked to make him laugh.

I peeled the wrapper off and handed him his Red White and Blue Rocket.  Rosy cheeks become flesh toned again, as I whisk away the sweat from his brow. 

I had forgotten about my Blue Ghost, which by the way was not only called that because it was blue ice cream, but also because it had an odd shape that looked sort of like a giant glove - what the ice cream experts thought looked like a ghost, I suppose.  The best part was the ghost face, because smack in the middle was a blue bubble gum ball, kind of like a 2 for 1 bonus!

I considered myself a smart shopper.

I tore the wrapper and out poured a sea of blue, dripping over my hand and onto my overalls.  In a frantic state of mind, as the thought of losing my Blue Ghost due to a meltdown devastated me, I opened my mouth and took a large chunk out of my dessert.

It hit like a wall, I felt my mind become numb and solid.  Frozen in time.  A pinch at my temples tells me its an icy coma taking over my brain, causing my eyes to wince.  I shake my head quickly as if to throw it off the top of my skull or fling the sensation out of my ears.  No luck, I must embrace the pain.

But in my hand I held the remnants of a sub-zero delight and I cannot fathom letting it go without a fight. Dare I take another gulp, thus risking the prolonged anguish of the infamous brain-freeze? 

Like a trooper, leaving no man, woman or frozen dessert behind, I bare down and take another giant bite.  The wall hits harder this time, and my eyes close completely. I let out a cough and my eyes manage to open to see my brother casually licking his frozen multicoloured sorbet, lips red from the cherry ice he chomped on.

Summer heat and brain freezes, a combination best fit for the truly ambitious or the truly crazy. 

I was the crazy type.

A last bite to go.  The pain had eased off quicker this time.  I made my way to the centre where the blue gum ball treasure was embedded. I fished it out of the sticky sky-blue molten mess, which once was a perfectly shaped ghost-glove and popped it in my mouth. 

And so it vanishes.  Truly living up to its name...The Blue Ghost




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for A Girl Who Loves to Cook...